Sunday 22 March 2009

Table tennis championships


Spring has sprung in London and I've been celebrating this week by doing some wood work in our back yard among the daffodils. I built a full-sized circular ping pong table for a workshop I helped organise yesterday in a gallery/project space called The Two Johnny's in East London. It works perfectly but its harder than normal table tennis cos there's less table, and every time we've played it seems to descend into a kind of general squash game using every surface of the room. I had to donate the table to the guys who run the gallery though, I could see the look of panic in my housemates eyes when they thought it was going to stay in our living room.

The workshop involved four visiting artists who were invited to discuss their work, a screening of some films we had made, a bookbinding session, some epic table tennis and a massive authentic Korean lunch cooked by my friend Gaeun. It was mostly a success but incredibly stressful to organise, I feel like I've been holding my breath for about a month. Afterwards someone force-fed me about fifteen tequilas and I ended up at a jazz bar in Dalston til 4am, then crashed on a friends couch, so I'm now feeling rancid with only three days til my thesis presentation is due. PANIC.
The only thing thats cheering me up is this plastic sailor hat my housemates friend Blair gave me. He's been staying on our couch for a week, but I've got no complaints since he's a model and likes to wander around in a towel. The cap is from one of his shoots. No offence to Sam but it doesn't look quite as good on him:
Why do I always end up talking about hats? I think my life has become very small. In the hope of extending my range of interests, my new hobby will be photographing odd skywriting instances. I'm pretty happy about this perfect bit of alignment:

No comments: